Tuesday, September 18, 2012

OFF = October Flash Fiction

Can you scare me? Or at least make me shiver? If you can do that in 1,000 words or less, then YOU just might win Unwritten's:



Perhaps you saw or participated in the May Flash Fiction contest. The rules here are similar, except instead of 600 words, I've decided to give you a maximum of 1,000 words and NO prompt. 

"Ready for your bedtime story?"
The choice of story is all yours, as long as it lends itself to scary, creepy, or just plain weird! Here are the rules:

  1. Submit a complete flash fiction story of no more than 1000 words to mystiparker @ yahoo.com (no spaces), with OFF in the subject line. No scenes or excerpts!
  2. Please keep your submissions PG--no heavy profanity, nudity, sexual acts, etc. If you aren't sure, ask me first. Blood and gore are OK.
  3. The contest is open to writers of any experience level, but please edit your story to the best of your ability before submitting. I will not be editing them for you.
  4. Along with your stories, send in a profile pic, short bio (45-100 words), and most recent book cover (if you have one) or links you'd like to share.
  5. I will be posting selected stories as I receive them, but cannot guarantee every story will be published. Your comments on them are greatly appreciated!
  6. Deadline is Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:00AM EST. Anything received after that will not be considered.
  7. Winner(s) will (hopefully) be chosen by our blind judge (my husband, who is not blind) and announced on Halloween (appropriate, huh?) 
  8. Questions? Feel free to contact me.
Prizes are as follows:

1st Place 

2nd Place

3rd Place

  • 1st five pages manuscript critique (by either Ian Hall, Veronica Roxby Jorden, or Lindsey R. Loucks)
  • 4 issues of Trembles Horror Magazine (epub or mobi, (donated by Gregory Thompson)

13 comments:

  1. If I have a moment free between promoting, I'll try to write one. I'm so excited, Mysti. I'm about to have my first go at self-publishing!!! If I can work out what to do it should happen today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love all the enthusiasm! I already have a story submission :)

      Best of luck, Jenny! I have no doubt you'll be a success!

      Delete
  2. Exciting!!! I have one that I think may fit!! :) (really needs editing though! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, you ARE an editor :) Are you like the carpenter who has an unfinished house? Hee hee.

      Delete
  3. Yep. Always knew that short-short would come in handy - well, no, I didn't. I wrote it because I needed to (see Stephen King AND Robert Heinlein, i.e. Writing as a Disease). Still - it was fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With no prompt, you have lured me in...I'll try to come up with a really scary one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well I am def not not not a writer of any kind, I have mad props and respect for my author friends who are just simply amazing. wish I could do this but if anyone wants to email me their story and have me proof read it im all up for reading ;) ;) haha... GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Jessica!! Feel free to comment on the stories coming in, too. The writers really love to hear feedback.

      Delete
  6. oooh just found this and will enter my first writing contest!! excited :) x

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.