Sunday, May 13, 2012

To My Mom...

Those of you who know me personally know that I lost my mom to lung cancer in 2003. Today, as I rejoice in the love of my husband and three precious kids, I also hurt because I miss her so much. Not a day goes by that I don't long to pick up the phone and hear her voice. So, today, I am writing a thank you note to her in Heaven, and I'm praising God that she can celebrate with Him and so many of our loved ones today.

Thank you, mama...


12/31/01: My mom, Linda, holding her
granddaughter for the first time.

For choosing life over "choice" when you knew you were carrying me, though I know how hard it must have been to be a single mom.

For working so tirelessly at thankless jobs to provide for my brother and me. 

For telling me I could be anything I wanted to be and never discouraging me, even when I'd make bold statements like, "I want to be a famous singer." (I can't carry a tune in a bucket.)

For sweet and silly bedtime routines that will only ever be shared by the two of us.

For staying up until 2 AM on Christmas Eve morning to make cookies and candies together, though I'm sure you were exhausted, because you loved spending that special time with me.

For assuring me that I could always talk to you about anything, though I didn't take you up on that often enough.

For reminding me that, "Can't never could do anything." Those words, I still hear in my darkest hours.

For taking me to church as a child, for teaching me about Jesus, for praying with me and for me, even when I was hard to love.

For teaching me that God loves us all, no matter what our skin color, no matter our faults, and that no one is perfect.

For loving your grandbabies, even though you only knew my firstborn for a little while.

For the smiles that come easier now when I share memories of you with my children.

****
To all you mothers out there, have a wonderful and blessed day with your families. To those of you who have lost your moms, my heart goes out to you. To those who still have a mom, make sure you tell her in some way how much she means to you. Thanks for dropping by. Feel free to share your own special memories in the comments below.

~Mysti

7 comments:

  1. So pecious, so well put and so beautiful.She was just like what you wrote. I miss her and think

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pecious, so well put and so beautiful.She was just like what you wrote. I miss her and think of her often. Love Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Happy Mother's Day, Mysti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure she got your lovely message, Mysti, and is watching over you and your family.
    Lots of love
    Jenny
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. too often we overlook all the heartache and difficulties our mothers overcame - until we become mothers ourselves and understanding drops into our hearts. Very nice tribute to your mom - to many moms

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day to you, Mysti and Mysti's mom. You raised a sweet, wonderful person, Mysti's mom!!! And what a beautiful picture--pure happiness.

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.